Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chicken thighs and drumsticks, pan fried.

This is my second post and I wanted to share something with whoever may read this. The thing I like to do most is eat, so I chose to share two versions of the same method to pan fry chicken. One is my Mother's method and the other is the way I modified it, with the help my best friend, who happens to be my wife. Both are delicious. Enjoy.

Mother's: (I love the simplicity.)

Chicken parts
Granola oil
Onion
Garlic
Salt & pepper

Salt & pepper chicken. Brown chicken in oil about 30 to 45 min. Add veggies and simmer until veggies and chicken are done to your taste. Add water for gravy. Serve over rice.

My alterations: (I love the gravy and rice, but Mom's method didn't make enough gravy.)

Chicken parts (Drumsticks and thighs)
Granola oil and/or butter
Chicken broth
Beer
Onion
Garlic (Fresh clove)
Salt & pepper.

Salt & pepper chicken. Brown chicken on medium to medium-low heat in oil and/or butter about 30 to 45 minutes, turning pieces about every 4 to 6 minutes. Add beer as needed to steam flavor chicken, to pick up browning glaze, and keep chicken from sticking. Add veggies just before chicken has reached the desired color and simmer until veggies are done to your taste. Add chicken broth for gravy if desired. I have used beer and water to pick up the tasty brown stuff on the bottom of the pan for a gravy and added the chicken broth.

Serve over rice.

Taste tip - sprinkle a drop or two of vinegar pepper, or Tabasco sauce on a spoonful of the rice and gravy every now and then as you are having your meal. Also, cucumbers soaked in white vinegar, salt, and pepper are good as a side. Green beans are a good side also.

1 comment: